Wednesday, July 22, 2009

they doesn't speak so good english

Something that Timon and Flora said to me over vacation inspired me to do a short little blog about the kids and their english.   It's absolutely amazing to see 4 kids at these ages that are bilingual.  But, as expected, they're grammar isn't exactly the best and they tend to mix things up a lot.  Because I am around them every day, I have grown used to all their little sayings and mix-ups but once in a while they say something that really tickles my funny bone. 

After we had been in Croatia for about a week I was beginning to get a pretty good tan and Timon came up to me and said "Wow Neecall you are really much brown!  really really much!!"  After a minute or two of staring at me he turned and left and then Flora leaned over to me and whispered "He don't speak so good english.  right Neecall?"  When she said this, it hit me just right and me laugh pretty hard so I just had to share that.

Fanny and Christoph are probably my favorite though when it comes to their english speaking skills.   Sometimes their sentences are half english and half german.  For some reason they just can't get a grasp on the english words  but, with, and now.  So whenever they would use them they replace them with the german words  aber, mit, and jetzt.  
For example:
"Aber Neecall, I don't want to!"
"Neecall! Come play mit me!"
"No, I want it jetzt!"

But my favorite thing that Fanny says, whenever she thinks she can't do or say something, is:  "Aber I don't can do it Neecall!" ( I wish you could hear her say because her voice is so cute!!)

One more quick example-
One day I was telling Timon about one of the weekend trips that I will hopefully be taking in the near future.  I told him I would be taking a train and he asked "But what happens when the train doesn't want to fly anymore?"  Of course I was a little confused so I asked him what the heck he meant and he just replied, "You know! When the trains stops flying and hits the ground where will it be?"   I, still a little confused, answered "trains don't fly Timon."  This answer seemed to throw him for a huge loop and then I finally realized what he meant and said.  "Trains don't fly but PLANES do."  He just got super irritated and said "yes whatever Neecall!  it sounds the same!"

No comments:

Post a Comment