Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Update from Austria

I know I haven't updated the blog with anything for a long time, so today I decided that even though there is nothing too exciting to record, I will just give a brief update about general everyday life.

First of all... It is completely blowing my mind that I have been here for 9 whole months now! I literally cannot believe it. It seemed like 5 seconds ago that time was stuck in molasses and I thought I'd never see the end of November, and then I blinked and suddenly it's March 2nd! In the beginning things were incredibly frustrating with the kids. I would have 1 good day for ever 6 bad days and it was really starting to wear on me. But as the time has gone by the kids and I have gotten used to each other and adjusted well. Especially the last couple months. Lately I have really been able to establish good relationships with 3 of the 4 kids. When I first got here, Fanny was the one I was frustrated with the most, but with each day I realize that it just might be her that I miss the most when I leave here in June. She has been really sweet and fun lately. In fact in some ways she really is like a little mini-me. One day when I was taking her and Timon to Kinderstunde (children's hour - church kids group), we were sitting on the U-bahn (underground train) and as we were sitting there I glanced at Fanny... She was sitting there with her little gold pig-tails, red glasses, completely in her own little world, and avidly chewing her fingernails... it was literally like looking into a de-aging mirror. It has been really fun with Christoph lately as well! He is the one that I spend the most time with so things have gotten really good with him. The other day I was wearing a shirt from San Francisco and Christoph, pointing to the Golden Gate Bridge, asked me about it. After explaining to him what it was and that it was in America he thought for a second then jumped on me, put his arms around my neck and said, "Nicole, I wann in Amewicka mif you go, " then proceeded to give me a very slobbery kiss.... so cute!!! Things with Flora have been pretty steady from the beginning. Her and I have always gotten along well. There are bad days, but the majority of the time with her is good. She's quite the little smartie pants too... I have been reading english books with her (that is, having here read them to me) as practice because in a couple weeks she will join a bilingual school for a few days to see if she fits in well with them. If all goes well, then she will be attending and english/german school next year. Fanny has also been accepted into this school for when she is older. As for Timon... I'm not going to say too much about Timon because I don't want to spoil the good mood I'm in right now. All I'll say is that there are good days and bad days... more bad than good... but I can't complain too much because things with the other three are more good than bad. :)

Isabelle has officially found and hired the new au pair as my replacement in June. The new girl's name is Kelsey and she is from Portland. She seems really nice and will be coming sometime around June 16th. My favorite thing about her is that she is also really young AND she is also LDS! For some reason I find it really funny that this family will be getting 2 mormon au pairs in a row... coincidence? ... guess we'll find out someday... :)

As for my social life... well... it's pretty much non-existent. Ok... not non-existent, but it is pretty slim. I have had zero desire to hang out with the kids from my Young Single Adult church class. They call us adults but unfortunately most of the guys in the class act as though puberty is still about 3 years in the future. I can't even tell you how many conversations I've sat through about comic books and super heros... it gives me flashbacks of Stephen and Keith... when we were FIVE!!! Needless to say my social outings are few and far between so it's a good thing I know how to sink into my own little world. :) I do however have a new friend who just got here. She is from Utah and she came here to be an au pair as well. But unfortunately she got stuck with a crazy family and will be returning to the states in just a few weeks. But I have been hanging out with her on the weekends lately and will be taking a couple of trips with her before she flees the country. Other than that my social life basically consists of facebook, letter writing with Jason and his creeper friend, and skype dates with Ryan. haha :)

Well I guess that's all for now but I'll try to keep up better with updates these last few months. I miss everyone like CRAZY! ...only about 3 1/2 more months to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment