Saturday, June 27, 2009

Back to the future

As much as I love living over here, sometimes it feels as if I've gone back in time.  For three reasons specifically...
-First...I went from a really nice (fairly) new LG verizon cell phone (with unlimited texting) that I carried with me everywhere, to a really old, pay-as-you-go, junker nokia that I 'conveniently forget' to bring with me every time I go somewhere.  Talk about a step back...but to be honest I really don't even miss having a phone.  It's actually quite nice....simple and peaceful.  :)  

-Second...the people here have never seen Nike Shox.  People are always telling me that they look "futuristic" and asking me if they actually make me jump higher.   Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly spunky I say yes and then proceed to demonstrate like an idiot (only clearing about 6 inches or less) and then say "SEE?!?!"  They usually just look at me like I'm the dumbest little white girl they've ever seen...but I get a kick out of it.  :)  
-And third...The first time I did laundry here, I made quite an important discovery.  Which was....They don't have dryers here!   So once a week, instead of putting my freshly laundered, sopping wet clothes in an electrical dryer and pushing a button...I turn my room into a dryer buy hanging up all my clothes on two drying racks that take up way too much room.  It's kind of a pain because I have to crawl on the floor, under the racks, to get from my bed to my closet and I have to shrink about 10 sizes just to get through the door.  But in a way it's actually kind of fun.  It makes me laugh to find myself crawling on the floor like I'm a little baby.  I can imagine it would be a funny image for someone to walk in on...provided they fit through the door.  :)


Little things like this help humble me and remind me to be grateful for all the little things we have.  It's funny to think that all this time I've been taking everyday things, such as a dryer, for granted.  Like I said, I really am glad to be living here, but there are a few things that I'll be glad to get 'back to the future' for.  :)

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny! I love reading your blog. I would pay big money to see you jumping up and down in your shox! People just don't realize how good and spoiled we are here in the U.S, until they live somewhere else. I remember being at a youth conference outside of Madrid, Spain and all of us Americans ordered Corn Flakes. Imagine our horror when it was served with boiling milk! A few years later, I noticed that the instructions on the box actually said, serve with cold milk! Umm, did that really need to be written? Heck yes!
    As far as the phone goes....haha! My phone barely works right now and its time for an upgrade but your dad told me about a new cell service coming out in July so Joe and I have decided to wait. I guarantee your nokia is a hundred times better than my phone right now.

    What a pioneer you have become! We love and miss you! Well, gotta go get the clothes out of my dryer....I might give it a little smootcheroo after reading this post!

    ReplyDelete