Monday, May 10, 2010

Czechin out Prague

So far, of all the quick trips I've taken, this was the most relaxing of them all. We didn't have to be on a train all night like we did in Venice, we didn't almost get kicked off the train like we did in Budapest, and we found our hostel much easier than I did in Munich! So basically it's a pretty boring story to tell. ;) But I'll tell it anyway...

I have wanted to go to Prague for SOOO long and it has been on the top of my to-do list since I got here. And this weekend... I was finally able to czech it out! Our adventure started on Friday night when we got on the 18:33 train to Prague. We were super excited that the train wasn't full so we could have our own compartment. But sure enough, as always, after the first stop our space was invaded. Two young guys, speaking a language I didn't understand, came in making our compartment much smaller. Between running into two people from Powell in Venice and seeing my cousin Chris in Germany, I've been hogging all the 'small-world' experiences and apparently it was my friend Ana's turn to have one. The two guys were speaking her mother language and came from her home country... Mexico. They were super nice and really fun to talk to. They even helped us out when we got to Prague a little after 23:00, by buying our public transportation tickets for us because we didn't have change and nothing was open. After that we said good-bye so that we could search for our hostel and they could search for the place they were staying. They are a part of some thing Troy told me about once called "couch surfing." Which basically is this program where they go online to this website and say "hey I'm coming to Prague! anybody have a couch I can sleep on?" and then wait for someone to respond and offer you a bed for a couple nights. Sounds pretty risky to me but apparently it's been working for them for almost a month! Anyways, our hostel was really easy to find and when we got there I discovered that it was probably the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at. I dare say it was even a bit nicer than some hotels I've stayed in! I loved it!! After a wonderful nights sleep in our clean and comfortable hostel we woke up the next morning ready to begin our trek through the beautiful city of Prague, Czech Republic. Our hostel was kind of on the outskirts of the city so it took us a while to walk to the main part of the city where all the major sites are. (Just so we're clear and everyone knows... I am a map-reading fool! and on top of that I definitely have part of dad's sense of direction... I have yet to get lost and have been able to find my way splendidly around every city! ... knock on wood) The first big thing that we saw was Prague Castle. It sits up on a hill so it can be seen from anywhere in the city. It was absolutely marvelous! Another awesome site that I've always wanted to see and actually have a picture of on my wall at home, was Charles Bridge. It was so cool! But as always I'll give details about each site in the other post.

Other than the fact that we were in PRAGUE... nothing too exciting happened. We just spent the day wandering the city and enjoying a little Czech atmosphere and culture. Although I must say I did not enjoy the language. We always complain about german being such an ugly language but I actually miss german anytime I go somewhere else (besides Italy). But maybe that's just because I understand it. :) Oh yeah and we did bump into our mexican friends from the train once too so that was pretty fun. After walking about 15,000 steps (according to a step counter thingy) it was time to go back to Vienna. After every trip, no matter how amazing the place was, I'm always so excited to get back to Vienna. Vienna has really become my (temporary) home this last year and I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment