Monday, May 3, 2010

Hundertwasser

The Hundertwasser Haus is a pretty big tourist attraction here in Vienna. So naturally I figured I should go see it at some point. I tried to go see it months ago, but it is located in a really random spot and my patience usually ran out before I found it. Then a couple months ago, my friend Kar and I finally found it, but unfortunately it was dark by the time we got there so we weren't able to get a decent picture. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I stopped being lazy and decided to go find my way back in the daylight. And here it is... the very famous Hundertwasser Haus...

Sorry it's sideways... I couldn't get it to change







The house was built by a famous Austrian artist by the name of Friedensreich Hundertwasser. It was built between the years of 1983 and 1986. Hundertwasser's wish was to protest against what he thought to be soulless modern architecture. The house was built with almost no straight lines making it an architectural wonder. The floors are uneven, the roof is toped with dirt and grass, and there are large trees growing from inside the rooms with limbs extending out the windows. There are a total of 250 trees and bushes inside. Within the whole house, there are 52 apartments, 4 offices, 16 private terraces and 3 communal terraces. Friedensreich Hundertwasser refused to take payment for the design, stating that it was worth it to prevent something ugly from going up in its place. (I'd really hate to see what his definition of 'ugly' is!!)

Oh yeah... and people actually live there...

No comments:

Post a Comment